Welcome to Queensland, Australia - The official tourism site for Queensland


Customs and Travel Visa

Customs & Quarantine
When arriving in Australia, you must declare all food, plant and animal items. Seemingly harmless plant, food, wood or seeds can introduce deadly pests or disease. Prohibited products may include meat, nuts, live plants and fruit.

Trade in endangered and threatened wildlife and native Australian wildlife is strictly regulated. Products made from hard corals, giant clamshells, reptiles or whales may be prohibited or restricted. Please visit the following link for further information www.customs.gov.au


You will need a valid full ten year passport that will still be valid for at least six months after your scheduled return. Next, you'll need to obtain a Visa - you can apply for your visa at Department of Immigration and Citizenship. If you're from the United States of America or Canada then you are eligible to apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). You can apply for an ETA online at Electronic Travel Authority System. If you're planning to do some paid work while you're in Australia, you'll need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa.

You should also check with Customs or Smart Traveller in regards to Yellow Fever vaccination. If you have been through certain parts of Africa six days prior to landing in Australia you will need to be vaccinated. Just tick the appropriate response on the Incoming Passenger Card you are issued on your incoming flight.

If you're planning to visit Australia and are not eligible for an ETA, you'll need to apply for a standard Tourist Visa.

Working Holiday Maker Visa
Planning to venture Australia and hoping to do some paid work? To do this you'll need to obtain a Working Holiday Maker (WHM) Visa. If you're between 18 and 30 and from the United States of America and Canada you'll be able to apply for your WHM Visa. If you're from Chile and have a tertiary education you can apply for a Work and Holiday Visa. It's a little different from the WHM but a similar concept applies. Once you have your Working Holiday Maker Visa, it's time to research the job market. JobSearch advertises jobs in tourism, retail, transport, engineering, finance, building and IT. While JobSearch does not deal with enquiries from overseas, you can register after arrival when you have a permanent Australian address.

Second Holiday Maker Visa
The Second Holiday Maker Visa is available if you choose to work for three months in regional Australia doing seasonal work. Seasonal work includes picking fruit, being a harvest hand or working in vineyards. However, if you choose to apply for your WHM Visa you must do this outside of Australia and still be under the ripe age of 30.

Visa Links

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Electronic Travel Authority System

Australian Government

Working Holiday Maker Visa


Choose your Country/Region:
Australia China France Deutschland Hong Kong India Italia Japan Korea Malaysia Middle East New Zealand Singapore Taiwan United Kingdom United States
Other Country/Region

Queensland Australia